Thursday, May 7, 2015

Crockpot Quinoa


Have you had Quinoa? If not, it is a grain grown for the seeds which are edible. Quinoa is more closely related to beetroots, spinach and tumbleweeds.

Quinoa first came from the regions of Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia and Peru, some 3000 to 4000 years ago for human consumption. Quinoa is cooked like rice and can be made into any dish.

I enjoy making meals in the crockpot. I made a dish with Quinoa. It was easy to prepare. I added the Quinoa in last. As it tends to soak up any and all juices the longer it cooks.
In this dish I added : baby carrots, black beans, mushrooms, spinach, diced tomatoes, tomato juice (as the base), salsa, sea salt, everglades seasoning, black pepper, and crushed red peppers.

I wish I would have taken a photograph. As it looks beautiful with all the color combination. I usually do when I make something new. This time I was enthralled by the colors, I forgot.

I never heard of Quinoa til my health needed to be paid more attention to it through what I was eating. Finding out I have type 2 diabetis which requires medication was a real eye opener.

What is your favorite way to serve Quinoa?

Photo from Pixabay.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam. Please be patient until your comment can be approved. This can take up to 24 to 48 hours. Thank you for your patience.