Monday, February 23, 2015

Crockpot Broccoli Mushroom Soup

©rusty2rusty

Another meal for a "Meatless Monday". A friend started making meals on Mondays with no meat to save on her budget. Plus, cut down the amount of meat her family consumes.

I have since Incorporated "Meatless Monday" in to my families dinner routine. Today, I cooked up my homemade version of "Crockpot Broccoli Mushroom Soup". As you can tell from the photo it looks delicious. I just finished a bowl and can say it tastes as good as it looks.

My teen son walked in from getting off the bus. He asked,"What is that I smell?" I replied,"Homemade broccoli mushroom soup made in the crockpot." he put his head down and sighed before muttering,"No wonder it stinks. I hate broccoli. I will eat a can of ravioli's. " As he slipped off in to his bedroom.

Hey folks! I tried. That is the best this mother can do. Getting 3 out of 4 family members eating a little healthier, makes me happy knowing the majority likes my cooking no matter what I make.

Now I am wondering how to you spell crockpot. Do you hyphenate it like crock-pot, separate it like crock pot, or run the words together like crockpot? When I do a Google search. I find it each way. What is the proper usage?

For the recipe :

Crockpot Broccoli Mushroom Soup
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 head of broccoli
1 small onion
1 package of mushrooms
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp butter
1 c. of chicken broth
1/2 gallon of milk
2 tsp cornstarch
5 oz Parmesan cheese

Chop broccoli and onions to small pieces. Slice mushrooms. Add to crockpot.

While doing that prepare a pot on stove with the milk, salt, pepper, butter, and chicken broth. Heat to a slow boil. Add in Parmesan cheese. Make sure you use a whisk to  stir it in. Otherwise the cheese will lump up.

If you want a thicker soup instead of runny. Mix the cornstarch with a little bit water to your desire thickness. Add to boiling mixture while using a whisk to stir. This eliminates any lumps and helps combine all the flavors together to form your soup base. When done, pour mixture over ingredients in your crockpot.

Set crockpot on high for 3 to 4 hours.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam. Please be patient until your comment can be approved. This can take up to 24 to 48 hours. Thank you for your patience.