Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Crockpot Broccoli And Mushroom Soup


I love making homemade broccoli and mushroom soup in my crock pot. I had a late start making today. As I had to go to the school and discuss with the resource teacher, class teachers, and counselors about my daughter's failing grades and what we can do about it.
I really don't think the meeting was a success. As we discussed my daughter is already grounded from everything in the home except her chrome book that is provided by the school. I was asked how long that will last. I said that depends on her. If she doesn't want to do her chores or keeps yelling at me. It will be permanent. As I am not going to be talked to or treated like that. 
We did discuss that my daughter is capable of doing the work, that she is smart. We discussed her controlling her anger and taking it out on the wrong people. We discussed ways she can deal with the bullies. Same stuff that happens every year. Nothing gets accomplished, just confirms the same stuff is happening at home as it is at the school. Until my daughter decides to do it, nothing will happen.
After I got home from the school, we went to McDonald’s. I know it seems like a reward, but I had not eaten all day. I needed to get something small and quick. As I don't keep anything like that at home. It was almost 4 pm. Being a diabetic type two. I control my diet by what I eat. I needed something to eat quick. 

It doesn't help that child support was only $12 and some odd cents. Which gets paid every two weeks. That hurts but I understand with the hurricane that happened in Florida, everything was shut down. That puts us in a bind up here in Ohio, as I have no way to make that extra cash up. No biggie I need to make it to the local food banks when I do not have some type of appointments. I hate relying on food banks and making meals from cans or boxes. Compared to homemade and fresh. But it is what it is. At this point in life, food is food.
Back to making the soup, I made it a bit different this time. As I was out of chicken stock. Plus, I no longer add onions to any of the meals I make. Due to health reasons, I ended up picking up two small boxes of “Swanson cream starter” over the weekend for $1.00 a piece. As they were marked down for quick sale. Something I have not tried yet.
I started slicing up a package of white mushrooms and a package of broccoli. I took the broccoli stalk and shredded it up with my metal grater. Some people will throw the broccoli stalk out. Not me, I use every bit of the broccoli stalk. I shredded the Irish white cheddar cheese. I added the Swanson cream starter milk and spices. Then started making the rue (recipe below) to make the soup a little thicker. Once I made the rue, I added it to the mixture.
Swanson cream starter is already made in the box and does not need anything added to it. It is great to make gravies and creamy soups.


Crockpot Broccoli And Mushroom Soup 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 package shredded broccoli

1 package sliced mushrooms
2 small boxes of Swanson cream starter
2 cups shredded Irish white cheddar cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
milk

I placed all vegetables and cheese in crockpot. I poured both boxes of the Swanson cream starter over the ingredients in the crockpot. I filled the rest of the crockpot with milk. I mixed everything together. Turned on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Rue is a thickener for soups and gravies. To make my rue I add flour to a skillet till it is light brown. I add two tablespoons of butter. I let the butter melt. Mix together with a whisk. It should be the thickness of a gravy. If not I add more butter too I get it. If it is too thin I add more flour. I added rue because when I added the milk. The soup did not have a creamy thickness anymore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Photo of soup taken by and copyright belongs to me, Sandy KS aka rusty2rusty. The photo of the broccoli came from Pixabay, a free use photo sharing website. 


9 comments :

  1. I've never heard of the creamer starter before. I hardly make cream soups anymore because my husband is off all dairy. Not sure I want to try almond milk in a soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried almosnd milk in mashed potatoes and it was horrible! It's okay for baking with, but not for cooking.

      Delete
  2. Your soup sounds good. I don't think I can get Swanson Cream Starter here in Canada but I'll see if I can find something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bowl of soup looks delicious. I like a creamy soup and this broccoli and mushroom with cheese sounds splendid. I've never used the cream starter but will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, I have never used the cream starters before I may look into those. Your soup sounds delicious and very easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy - love cr of broccoli soup, haven't tried using mushrooms with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was first intriqued by the soup, and really enjoyed your story. I was a single mom and remember that well. I love your commitment to your daugther as well as to making healthy food for your family. I am going to try the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I love a creamy broccoli soup. One of my comfort food in winter. Thanks for sharing your recipe Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post keep your awesome work
    I have many hobbies. I love to travel and read. But my favorite hobby is cooking. Let me tell you why! First, I'll tell you a little bit about why I started cooking. Secondly, I'll give you some information about what I like to cook. Third, I will say how I use the Blog ẩm thực for cooking.

    When I started cooking, I was 10 years old. My mom wants me to be a chef. She has always believed that girls have to make different types of food, because one day they will get married. In my country, it is normal for girls not to cook. I feel lucky because I can cook many dishes. Now that I cook some of the dishes my children and husband love, I become happy and proud of my mother and myself. Foody

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated for spam. Please be patient until your comment can be approved. This can take up to 24 to 48 hours. Thank you for your patience.