Friday, October 7, 2016

Costumes Are A Tradition On Halloween


Today is the seventh day in the writing challenge. I am writing every day this month something that pertains to Halloween. I choose to write about Halloween costumes.

Halloween costumes are worn during Halloween festivals, parties, parades, and trick or treating. The original idea for costumes predates anything like we do today. 


The oldest date I can find on anything about Halloween costumes was back in Scotland in the 1500's. Basically they were worn due to beliefs in the supernatural, folklore's, and religious beliefs. Overtime the tradition has changed to what you see in modern day. 


Today, Halloween costumes in the USA is a money making industry through the month of October. As costumes are worn by children to go house to house trick or treating. Many adults walking with the children will dress up in costumes. As well as the people handing the candy out. Costumes are also worn to parties, parades, festivals and more.


I remember dressing up to go trick or treating as a child. My costumes ranged from being a devil at the age of five. To making costumes for my children when they were babies. I made my teen son in to a ice cream cone one year. I got the idea from a Good Housekeeping magazine.

What costumes did you or your children dress up in?



 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have challenged myself to write every day something that is related to Halloween. As Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, next to Christmas. I also decided to join the "Ultimate Blog Challenge" I created a post called "October 2016 Writing Challenges", it is where I am getting my ideas to write the entire month.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Photo from Pixabay, a free use photo sharing website.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam. Please be patient until your comment can be approved. This can take up to 24 to 48 hours. Thank you for your patience.