Monday, July 6, 2015

BBQ Chicken in the Crockpot


I love to use my crockpot in the summer time beat the summer heat. As I dislike heating my house up to a sauna. It affects my health and makes me feel horrible when I heat up. 

I have several different recipes where I make chicken in the crockpot. I make simple easy ones when I don't have time. Where I add the chicken and pour a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Than let the crockpot do its work by placing it on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7 - 8 hours.


Or I will start cooking the chicken late at night in the oven when the sun is not longer up and the house doesn't heat up as bad. I cook the chicken half way. Than I add it to the crockpot. I allow the crockpot to finish the cooking. I think the flavors come out more robust doing it this way.

I also create my own BBQ sauces. Which I will add to the crockpot, after adding the chicken. I tend to like adding my meat frozen. As some sauces are thick and will burn before the meat is done. Adding the frozen meat prevents this.

Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce
**********************************
1/2 ketchup
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 paprika
1/2 vinegar
1/2 onion powder
1/2 brown sugar

Mix all ingredients together. Yields about 2 cups.

To try different flavors while creating your own BBQ sauces. All you need to do is switch a few ingredients. 
Such as :

1. To make it sweeter - Add more sugar or honey
2. To make it spicy - Add tobacco sauce, jalapeno peppers, or your favorite kind of spiciness.  
3. For a smokey flavor - Add a drop of two of bottle smoke

Adding different fruits with change your sauce and give an unique flavor.  
Such as :

1. Pineapples
2. Apple or applesauce
3. Cherries (Black cherries work well too)
4. Oranges
5. Blueberries
6. Mangoes
7. Apricots
8. Plums
9. Strawberry 

You can combine them or add only one. The best part you can add the fruit as juice or blend them to a slight liquid state. Some people will have small bits of crushed fruit in their sauces. It is really all about taste and how you prepare it.

What is your favorite tasting BBQ sauce?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for spam. Please be patient until your comment can be approved. This can take up to 24 to 48 hours. Thank you for your patience.