Here are a few Honey bee facts :
1. Honeybees are known to produce honey.
2. A queen honey bee can produce up to 2,000 eggs a day.
3. Larvae are fed pollen and honey for three weeks before they reach adulthood.
4. Drone honey bees (males) serve only to mate with the queen. Shortly, afterwards dies.
5. It takes a swarm to locate a new nesting site in 24 hours.
6. Honey bees are found world wide.
7. Worker honey bees lives last six weeks. Where they forage for food till their death.
8. A queen honeybee will live anywhere from two - five years. Average is three.
9. Honey bees get mistaken for wasps alot. However they are not wasp nor in the wasp family.
10. Honeybees are not native to the USA. They were imported with the early settlers of North America, with European origin.
My grandmother was allergic to honey bees. My older sister is allergic to honey bees. Both has to avoid honey bees at all cost and make sure to have a kit in case either one were stung. As one sting could kill them, if they are not treated quickly. My sister is also allergic to the pollen the honey bees collect. Pollen is the food the honey bees collect to eat.
Do you know someone who is allergic to honey bees?
Note : Click on photos to enlarge them.
Photos from Pixabay.com a free use photo website.